Thursday, October 1, 2009

Routine, Organization, Efficiency


It's so nice to be back!  I love routine and organization. I love efficiency in every form of the word!  As mundane as it can be, I feel like I'm not getting anything accomplished if there is not some sense of order around me.  I'm not a control freak at all.  I don't have to be in control of my day or any tidbit of my day, BUT I just can't seem to focus if I'm unorganized or inefficient.  To have Ryan back in school and Rich back to work; I feel, is a huge accomplishment!

  Ah, how I've missed our family devotion time.  It felt so good to get it going again.  I hate to say it, but it went bye-bye for awhile with the onslaught of school starting and hospital ordeals.  I so wish I wouldn't let life get in the way of our family devotions.  What are my kids learning from that?  That when life gets busy or hectic, take a break from God's word?!  That's when we need to be in it as a family every single day!  I so want my kids to be grounded in His word.  I want them to seek it and not friends when they are having a bad day.

It was so nice to have Rich home every single night for those 5 weeks.  After we put the kids to bed, we would sit on the couch together and watch the diy network... every single night until midnight or later.  It was relaxing.  We would dream about our house and our yard.  I will hold out for those flagstone pavers on top of all the concrete in our back yard.  Yes,  I know they are expensive, but I love the old-time feel and look of them.  We discussed projects we wanted to tackle and list their importance.  We would go to bed at the same time.  I would lay there beside him and think about how much I cherish that time with him and how much I loved just having him there beside me even though he was snoring.  It's been a long nine months that he has been on midnights.  Only nine months??  Are you kidding me??  It seems more like nine years!  I'm glad he gets to see the kids after school and spend the whole evening with them.  He gets to be at all the games and even gets to coach now-- since he can make the practices.  But oh, how I miss having him home at bedtime!  I have found myself in a routine that I'm not too fond of!  I seem to stay awake as long as possible every night that he is working so I will just go to bed and crash.  I have such a hard time falling asleep without him beside me.  I tried putting Robbie in bed with me at night, but it's just not the same.  I need my husband beside me, where he should be.  Speaking of... why am I still awake at 12:45 AM when I need to wake up at 6:30 AM?  I am grateful for a husband that I enjoy being with.


2 comments:

Keith and Amanda said...

I love routine and order as well! And I certainly understand the challenge of not having a husband at home in the evening. I've done it for five years now. It's very lonely at times...more than you can even explain to those who have always had the "normal" 8-5 / M-F life. Of this I am certain - my husband loves his job and he loves spending time with us during the day (the #1 reason we homeschool) so for that I am thankful. Hang in there. I would tell you it gets easier, but it doesn't. :-) You just learn to live with it and I've had to learn to grow up and stop whining. I'm NOT saying you are whining AT ALL...I've just had to work on my complaining heart and be happy for those wives who have help with evening activities and bed time routines rather than envy what they have. Someday I'll have my turn. :-) Great post. :-)

Angie said...

5 years?!?! Oh Amanda, I'm wondering if I can even survive one year! I guess over time, you just get used to it. But you are so right-- those who have not had to live it, have no clue how hard and how lonely it can be! Rich doesn't have to leave until 10:00 so he is around to help get them in bed. For that I am VERY thankful, especially during the school year! I know I sometimes whine about it. Haha! I really don't know why because it doesn't help anything at all, nothing gets accomplished that way and I end up depressed. So I very much understand about working on my complaining heart, too! I have to stop and remind myself how fortunate I am to have a loving husband that is working this shift to be able to spend more time with us.

I didn't realize how much we have in common until I started blogging/reading blogs! =]