Hi friends! Nice to see you all once again. I'm so excited to say that I was able to quit one of my part time jobs last week. YAY! Good-bye Hobby Lobby (till next summer). We have so many wonderful fall and Christmas pieces coming in that it's a good thing I'm getting outta there, lol! I will only be substitute teaching at the kids' schools. So thanks for hanging in there with me over the past five months as I've been away.
Our very sweet friend Karen, from My Colonial Home blog, is having a fun giveaway that you must join but quickly... the deadline is September 28. All that Karen asks is that we do a blog post about HOW YOU CAME UP WITH THE NAME OF YOUR BLOG. My story is short and sweet. Berry Homespun Primitives came about in January 2010. My name is Angie Berry and I have berries all over my home so it only seemed natural to have the word "berry" in there. Homespun is my one major weakness that I buy anywhere and everywhere that I go. It's my favorite medium to craft with. It has such a cozy feeling to its name also, don't you agree? Primitives has to be in the name because well... I just love primitives. For years I tried to find what my style was and could never find a 'name' for it. Country was the closest thing but I wasn't the cutesy country. I have always loved antiques and started collecting while I was still in high school, living with my parents. I was SO excited when I first came across primitives and couldn't believe I finally had a name for my style, lol! Anyway, that's my story. Thanks Karen for such a fun giveaway!
While you're here, I would like to share with you one of the very few projects I was able to work on and finish this summer. I was hauling this beauty to the car from a garage sale and my husband asked why I bought something that was scratched up, falling apart, and not worth the $$. You would think that after 17 years he would just get used to it and not question but sometimes it takes him awhile!!!
The price tag was $5 but as I was sitting it down on the table, one of the plastic inside pieces to a lid broke so she came down to $3.
It is pretty scratched up but a good, sturdy piece of wood.
Well thank goodness she came down on the price because as I was working on 2 of the lids, their plastic inside pieces broke as well. Bummer! So I had one good lid, lol. But that's okay. As often as people are in the jars, lids would just be in the way anyway. Here it is finished:
After I sanded the piece down slightly, I painted it one coat of red. Then 3 coats of black. I finished it off with ebony Briwax with steel wool and it distressed the piece for me as I went along. I wanted this piece to mainly be black with just a little bit of red which is why I only did one coat of red to 3 coats of black.
This lid is actually not on it anymore. I put it up in case I come across some more just like it sometime. I think it makes for a nice candy holder.
Funny thing is... when the candy was in the pantry in a bowl the kids were always getting in to it as they hid behind the pantry doors. Now that it's out in the open, it seems to last a lot longer, haha! I guess it's more fun for them to be sneaky.
Thanks for stopping by my sweet friends! Looking forward to seeing what you all have been up to this summer since I've been gone. Have a delightful week~